Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Late Summer Hort Happenings

 
My african violet is blooming beautifully! More amazing is the color...
 
 
...it's way different than the color they usually are, the most recent blooming just this past March (and the only color it's ever been the whole time I've owned this plant!) Wonder what it will do next time?


Outdoors the planters are pleasantly surprising, with volunteer tobacco plants blooming well...

 
....but this pot has mostly weeds. Time for some "fall plantings"!

 
I soaked some nasturtium seeds overnight, this variety is 'Moongleam' with pretty yellow flowers.


I'm also planting some 'Afina' cutting celery, purple podding radish, 'Pistou' basil, 'Quick Stir Fry Blend' greens, and slow-bolting cilantro.


                                                      Nasturtium goes with the tobacco...

 
...and hopefully will mature and flower before the tobacco is done.

 
The rest of the seeds were planted all together is groups, and the very next day some germinated!

 
Too crowded already...

 
...so the first thinning commences.

 
Indoor project is a last-ditch effort to see this lovely spring-blooming cactus look like it did in May of 2010...


...rather than the way it does now. *Sigh*  I'm not sure exactly what went wrong, but I'm going to try growing this barely alive speck in orchid fashion. (I think I read somewhere that people mount these like tropical orchids, and it's dying anyhow so why not? :)


So I pulled it up, got some green and spanish moss, and wet it with distilled water like I do with orchids. I'll buy a cork bark or wood mount to put it on and see what happens. Heck, if it dies I may buy a new one and mount it just to prove (or disprove) my own point.

 
The indoor tomato looks mighty sad...


                                                                 ...so a pruning is done...


...and out it goes! This is another what-the-heck-it's-dying-anyway experiment. This plant will be further challenged by the ridonkulous heat over the next week or so, however.

 
Even Galileo here doesn't have enough temp ballons to show the mid to upper 90's we're getting. God speed and good luck Mr. tomato!

 
Grow or die. It's the general theme around here :)

No comments: