Saturday, December 15, 2012

New Cactus Re-potting

Here are two lovely cacti that my dear friend from Texas sent me awhile back. I've been collecting vintage planters, and now I'm ready to repot my new prickly friends.
 
 
Here are the pots in question: two nice planters from the McCoy pottery line, approximately 1960's vintage.
I use tongs to handle the cacti, preferably metal ones with an open loop grabbing area so I don't smash too large an area on the cacti, but all I had on hand were these. (I have since gone to the dollar store for the metal tongs.) My soil mix includes aquarium gravel, sand, bone meal, decomposed granite, kelp meal, greensand, and bunny "beads" (poop :)
This cute barrel cactus is 'Balloon Cactus', Notocactus magnificus....
...there! Magnificus indeed!
This one is 'Torch Cactus', Trichocereus grandiflorus hybrids...
...voila'! Looks happier already!
I gave them some water, and that will be all they get until March or so when their growing season begins again.
So far this winter I've been able to keep my plant room fairly cool, especially at night. I'm hoping this will stimulate blooms from some of my cacti, maybe even these new ones. Fingers crossed!

No comments: